Interview with Corey Konieczka


em português





« dreamwithboardgames »
« Corey Konieczka »

How did you come up with the idea to create “Galactica”?
All of us here at Fantasy Flight are huge fans of the show. When our business department picked up the license, I was ecstatic, and begged to work on the project. Christian T. Petersen and I sat down and fleshed out some ideas for the game, such as the Cooperative with Cylon Traitor mechanic. From there, I used the show as inspiration to create victory conditions and flesh out all of the components.

How do you define yourself as a game designer?
Obsessive. Sometimes I'll lie awake at night trying to solve a design issue in my current game. It is a blessing and curse that I cannot stop thinking about them.

You play games time to time, or the games are part of your daily life?
It is a little of both. Unfortunately I don't get as much time to play other people's games as I would like. I spend so much time testing my own projects, that it kind of blurs the line between work and fun.

Can you tell me the game you enjoy playing the most? Why?
Very tough question. The game that I have recently enjoyed the most has been Michał Oracz's "Witchcraft."

When did you realize that design games were your dream?
Well as far back as I can remember, I designed games in my spare time. As soon as I realized I could do it as a job, I put my heart into it.

Do you have another job, or you are a full time game designer?
I am a full time game designer for Fantasy Flight Games.

Do you normally follow any particular game designer with especial attention?
I like games from so many designers, that I can't pick just one.

What you think about the economic crisis? It will affect the games sales?
I am not an economist by any means, but as far as I know, the economy has not affected FFG's game sales.

Do you prefer play the games or create them?
I really like playing games, but love creating them. Even if I did not get paid for it, I would still spend my spare time designing games.

Can you tell me your favorite game? And your favorite type of game?
My favorite game is probably the Sid Sackson's classic Acquire. I have fond childhood memories playing this game. My favorite genre would probably be strategy wargames, and dexterity games such as Crokinole.

Can you tell me the name of your next project? Will be a game like “Galactica”? What can you tell me about the game?
Right now I am working on "Middle Earth Quest". This is an adventure game set in the land of J.R.R. Tolken's Lord of the Rings. It is a unique adventure game, as one player plays as Sauron while all other players control heroes.

What you know about Portugal?
Unfortunately, very little.

Have you ever visited Portugal?
Unfortunately I have not. Don't feel bad though, I rarely get to leave the country.

Thank you very much for your interview.

Thank you for your interest

Battlestar Galactica - Fantasy Flight Games

1 comentário:

Anónimo disse...

Middle Earth Quest? Cool! (I think...)

Chris Walkley